10 July, 2008

Little kids

I was talking to my friend briefly over the phone when I heard her saying "Evana, why are you playing with my handphone?". Immediately, I told her to put her niece on. A soft, bubbly small voice that made me smile already.

Me:"Hi Evana, how are you today?"
her:"I'm fine, thank you."
Me:"What are you doing?"
her:"Playing the computer"
Me (stunned):"Playing the computer games?"

She is already playing computer games? But what really impresses me was her spoken command of the English language and she is only 2 years old!

There's a cute small boy which I came across in the train whilst travelling to work today. I reckon, he is around 4-5 years of age and he was doodling drawings which look like a house and a car as his mum stood guarded infront of his seat. I guess their stop were nearing soon because his mum took the book away from his lap to pack it back into his small spidey red colour bag.

Him:" Mummy, don't close the page yet. I want to continue drawing later"
Him:" Mummy, will you be coming to my class today?"
his mum:" No.."

Already, he was giving his mum a sad face.

What strikes me is that both childs are Malay and yet they are speaking in English. I know how important speaking good English is but aren't parents afraid that one day, their children will lose the ability to speak in their own mother tongue?I suppose it is a growing trend, nowadays.

But then again, what do I know. I'm speaking more in English than Malay myself, heh.

Speaking and seeing at those kids, tingles my maternal instincts. How strange.

No comments: